Originally a villa of the Tokudaiji family it was taken over by Hosokawa Katsumoto in 1450 and turned into a Zen temple.

The famous rock garden in front of the quarters of the head priest
is a Historic Site and Special Place of Scenic Beauty.

The camellia tree that was reportedly praised by Toyotomi Hideyoshi stands by
the fence in the eastern garden of the quarters of the head priest.

In December 1994 this simple yet profound garden of 15 rocks
set on white gravel was listed as a part of the World Heritage.

Near the eastern garden there stands a teahouse Zorokuan.